Relaxing and Grounding Techniques with Katie Moran, LMT
SHARED FROM THE COMMUNITY…FOR THE COMMUNITY
CONNECTING HEARTS…ONE BEAT AT A TIME
Relaxation and Grounding Techniques...Katie Moran, LMT
The largest concept to integrate is that we can learn to live relaxed. Living a relaxed lifestyle enables us to create a reality every day that we do not need to escape from. Constant input from the universe, society, and our own self care choices can contribute to our wellness… or our un-wellness. A tool from the Ayurvedic lineage of medicine to help guide our mindful decision making is knowledge of the “Three Gunas”. Three qualities of experience that have the power to influence our inner peace and outcome of our choices. They are Sattva (purity, clear perception), Rajas (movement, change, harmful to self), and Tamas (darkness, sense of separation, harmful to others). The goal in living relaxed is to make as many sattvic choices as we can… the more the merrier! However, It is not all or nothing, as perfection is an idea that barely exists in our human condition. Part of living relaxed is in not dwelling over the past (depression) or obsessing about the future (anxiety). In other words… its ok to let yourself off the hook for not living up to your own or others’ expectations.
Some options for living relaxed… A journey through the senses!!!
· Some Sedative Aromatherapy: Chamomile, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Jasmine, Lavender, Mandarin, Marjoram, Melissa, Neroli, Rose, Valerian, Ylang Ylang
· Pranayama (conscious breath) Alternate nostril breathing, and the cooling breath (boat tongue) are a couple of techniques that we covered tonight.
· Create a clutter free environment at home and at work.
· Experience nature… place a photo of nature somewhere you will see it often.
· Light a candle to set the ambiance for yourself.
· Ambiance and calm consciousness while eating sets space for sacred nourishment.
· Routine of when we eat and regulating how much we eat is important for a regular and relaxed digestive system.
· Eat a balanced diet of anti-inflammatory foods.
· Drink more H20!!!!!!
· Abhyanga aka Self massage helps to gently move lymph in towards the lymph nodes… Use an oil that feels good for you and the season. Move from distal to medial.
· Restorative Yoga, Practice moving into comfort… rest and digest.
· Reiki is a great self-care tool for relaxation
· Positive self-talk… Affirmations in the mirror WITH eye contact AND conviction!!! Example: “I am enough”
· Calm music, nature sounds, and vibrational sound therapy, also… silence is golden.